Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Raytown. My love, sadness, and hope.

I am hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel.
Jeff and I bought our first house in Raytown 8 years ago. We both grew up here and have friends we have known nearly our whole lives here.

Growing up there was an influx of people moving to Raytown for its proximity to downtown and the great schools.

Over the past few years most of the people who lived in Raytown have started moving to other parts of the city,  the scores for the schools have gone down, businesses have closed, crime has gone up, and the home prices have fallen. It is so sad to me. I remember when the Raytown Police had nothing better to do than break up our parties at Wildwood Lake.

Instead of leaving, Jeff and I have stayed. He works for the school and feels compelled to make an impact teaching in the district. We spend our money with local businesses and invest in our neighborhood. 

It has been harder and harder to keep a positive outlook on my favorite place. The YMCA closed so we can't take our kids to swim lessons any longer, there are vacant buildings throughout the city and I keep hearing horrible news about crime close to home. I feel like we have come to a point where Jeff and I need to decide if we are going to leave or keep investing in this town and believe it can change.

I very much love this town.  I love the history and the history I have here. My favorite part of living here is the small town feel with no streets over a few lanes wide and the undeveloped parts with farmland and animals. I love the teachers we have at our local preschool and the teachers at Carmen's elementary school.  I enjoy the diversity of the city and that my kids will learn to appreciate everyone no matter their race or economic status. I have another reason for hope. We have a mayor who is trying to revitalize the city and a school district superintendent trying to turn around the schools.

Why am I writing this long story?  I guess I am trying to remind myself why I enjoy this place and I hope any of my friends who are still here will think hard before abandoning the place where we all grew roots. We can only make this town stronger by sticking around and investing here.

Will we eventually move? I am not sure. We have a dream to have acreage and a place a little more secluded. Can we do that here? I am not sure. But I am sure that while we are here, we are going to try and make as much of an impact as possible to see this place rebound and have a great reputation again.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A touching description of your connection to and struggle with your life-long homeland. I understand the pull of the terrestrial mothership. But urban decay and blight can happen almost anywhere and for a number of reasons that are never caused by just one thing, Check Wikipedia. They say home is where the heart is....but you take your heart with you wherever you you go so you know what....? I believe home is where you are...and your family, Home isn't a zip code. It's the roof that holds your loved ones and keeps them dry when it rains. And you can build one of those anywhere. Home is where you are and Life should be an adventure. Try a new roof in a different zip code. It's the fastest way to kickstart the journey. I've done it many times and have found joy in each adventure. The journey allowed me to know you. Not too shabby. Who knows what it might do for you. Live free K. DN

      Delete